Day 10’s prompt has several parts:
Share five random facts about yourself.
- I always get up to my alarm. The first time it goes off. Always.
- I have Vitiligo, but people have confused it for strange tan lines, chemical burns, or bleach spills at various points in my life.
- I love scarves. Last year, the Future Educators of America club had a “Dress like a teacher day” and everyone several people asked if Carolyn was dressed like me “because she was wearing flats and a scarf.” It made me happy. 🙂
- If I weren’t a teacher, I think I’d like to be some kind of accountant or banker. I don’t know much about those professions, but the consistency of numbers is appealing to me.
- I don’t own a smartphone. I have an iPad that I use when I have wi-fi (which is nearly always), and I let other people handle the Internet if there’s no connection.
Share four things from your bucket list.
- Visit Argentina
- Swim with dolphins
- Try curling
- Attend the Olympics
Share three things that you hope for this year, as a “person” or an educator.
- More motivation for the monotonous necessities in life
- Success for my students using my revamped curriculum
- Develop better organization skills both in the classroom and at home
Share two things that have made you laugh or cry as an educator.
- I can’t count the number of times students’ English has gotten in the way of their Spanish and the end up saying things that are not even close to what they intended, and are often wildly inappropriate. My students and I always get a big kick out of it, and it helps them remember some of those common, crazy errors.
- My frustration with Spanish II when student after student dropped my class, despite my certainty that all the changes I was making were for the better.
Share one thing you wish more people knew about you.
- I’m naturally a pretty quiet person (outside of the classroom). It’s not that I’m rude or don’t like you, it’s just that, in many situations, I don’t know what to say, or I just want to listen to what you have to say. I think a lot of people confuse me for being really unsocial, but really I’m just not very socially graceful. But I’m getting better. 🙂
Wow, that was tough! Who knew it would be this hard to talk about myself? But I’m finally done! Whew!