This weekend, I finally heard back about a job I applied for. I’ve been waiting to find out if I would be moving schools before I planned what I really want to accomplish this summer. Both sadly and happily, I will be staying where I am. I love my current job, and I love my students, so I’m happy to be staying. The other possibility was much closer to my hometown and would have meant going from being the only WL teacher in my district to being one of 4 Spanish teachers (plus a Latin and a French teacher!). It’s a little bittersweet, but I’m already moving on to making plans for this summer! So here’s what I have planned:
- Rest! – This has been quite an exhausting year, and I’m ready for some rest and relaxation! I’ve decided that during the month of June, I will do no real work for next year.
- Go on vacation! – Next month, my husband, my mother, my grandmother, and I are taking a trip to Spain! I’ve never been and I am so excited!
- Read lots of blogs! – This is why I said I’m doing no real work during the month of June. I want to take a couple of weeks and just gather ideas. My inbox is full of blog posts that I want to dive deeper into and just haven’t had time to yet, so that’s first!
- Revamp some curriculum – This was my first year without a textbook and I am generally pleased with how it went. However, this was my first year without a textbook and there are lots of things that need to go better next year! I know it won’t be perfect, but I’m hoping to flesh out, redirect, and revamp a few units so that next year will flow a little more smoothly. Keep a look out for another post, like, today or tomorrow, about my issues with Spanish 3 and 4 for next year!
- Find a TV series for us to watch. – Whether this be the ever-popular El Internado or something else (I have an idea that would be FREE! I’ll fill you in if I go that route!), I want to work this type of excellent, fun, low-stress activity in next year for sure!
- Plan a week! – This year, I sort of did what I felt was right when I felt that it was right, but the further I got into the year, the more I realized I needed a plan. Right now, my ideas are that Spanish 4 (and 3?) will share a current event at the beginning of class on Wednesdays. Thursdays will be reading days in Spanish 4 and Tuesdays in Spanish 3 (if I can decide what to read with them!). I want to have a “presentational” day, but I don’t know when that will be. Maybe Wednesday? Mondays this year often became “music days” where we went through the lyrics to our song of the week. The feedback from the kids was that they learned a lot this way (and I could tell they did), but I don’t know if I want to (or can afford to) give a whole day to translating a song. On the one hand, I want them to know what they’re singing, but on the other hand…translation? I’m definitely going to have to think about this over the summer. And, I’m really considering Friday being a TV day. I’m also considering using whatever TV program I decide on as a carrot to get my students to speak only Spanish.
So that’s where I’m at right now! Although I’ll be working hard, I don’t know how much blogging I will do this summer, so if you don’t hear from me for a while – have a great summer and yes, I’m still alive! What are your big plans for the summer?